Sunday 11 March 2012

Curkyland

Several years ago, certain friends of mine nicknamed me "Curly." Yes, the name "Curly" was apt, and at the very least a term of endearment I was willing to tolerate. Then, after an intoxicated texting typo, I suddenly became "Curky."  My complaints that "Curky" sounded like a creepy clown/puppet/children's t.v. show host fell on deaf ears, and the name stuck.

But anyone who met me after 2007 might be shocked to know that I was not always curly. From the age of 12 when I got my first conair hair straightener (with optional crimping attachments of course), I furiously battled my natural curl. I blow dried, I ironed, I brushed, I cried, I ironed again. I literally pulled my hair out. Then, around the age of 18, I started to embrace my natural curl. AND IT WAS THE GREATEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE. My hair and I went from being mortal enemies, to BFF4EVA.

However, as with any relationship, my hair and I have had a couple rough patches in the last few years. Notably when I got a $30 haircut in Halifax. I left the salon horrified and ashamed, looking like I was going to my graduation portrait, Class of '86 (the 1980s were a hairstyling dark age).  Since this traumatic incident, I've accepted that curly hair (BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME) is more difficult to cut, and generally requires a more skilled and usually more expensive hairdresser.

Happily, in Toronto I have found the wonderful Curl Ambassadors. A hair salon that caters to follically curvy people like myself.

Reasons why I love the Curl Ambassadors:
1. Their name
2. Conveniently located at 159 Harbord Street
3. They play motown allllll the time
4. There are free jelly beans
5. I can pretend I am a housewife in the 50s when I'm sitting under the hairdryer
6. The first time you go they make you a Curl Map to teach you how to style your new haircut
7. The first time you go you get a gift certificate to use at your next visit
8. It is a hair salon just for curly haired people!!!!

I get my haircut with Keina, and it runs me about $90 with tip (eep!) but so worth it:












some of my Curlspirtation:


 
Marion Cotillard


Pin- up art is great inspiration for vintage hairstyles












Princess Margaret in the early '50s

    Non- inspiration: me in the bad hair days...

No comments:

Post a Comment